Professor, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, UW-Madison
Food Safety Specialist
- Working with staff to provide effective programming that addresses issues of consumer food safety, food preservation, food quality, and risk communication.
- B.S., 1981. Food Science, Virginia Tech
- M.S., 1983. Food Science, University of Massachusetts-Amherst
- Ph.D., 1988. Food Science, Cornell University
Previous Professional Experience
Barbara joined Extension in August 1997 as a Food Science Specialist. Prior to that she worked extensively in research settings on topics of dairy products quality, post-harvest quality of horticultural crops, and environmental microbiology.
Highlights of Current Assignments and Programs
- Curriculum development in food safety and food preservation.
- Evaluating factors influencing consumer food safety behavior.
- Laboratory research in food safety focused on raw and processed meat and cheese.
- Support of small food processors – meat, dairy, canned foods
- Support for county-based staff in programming for consumer issues of food safety, food quality, and food preservation.
Contact Barbara at:
105K Babcock Hall
1605 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706-1575
Phone: (608) 263-7383
FAX: (608) 262-6872